The RYA is probably the most widely known boating organisation in the world and RYA training is arguably the finest in the world.
RYA stands for the Royal Yachting Association. Although the RYA is a British organisation there are over 2,200 RYA recognised training centres in more than 44 countries. In the UK they represent all forms of water sports, from windsurfing to cruising yachts, both sail and power. They are also responsible for training the British Olympic sailing team.
The RYA imposes strict standards on the training establishments recognised to run their courses. This involves an annual inspection visit to each school to check the boats, equipment, instructor qualifications, paperwork and systems.
Boats used for RYA courses must be commercially licensed and insured and must carry comprehensive safety and navigation equipment. RYA requirements go well beyond what is commonly required in most countries, including Greece.
All RYA instructors must be trained and qualified in instruction as well as being top-notch sailors. They must take regular update courses in teaching sailing and have up to date First Aid certificates, to ensure your safety.
Failure to meet the required standards results in having RYA recognition removed.
RYA recognition is a guarantee that the training you receive will be of an acceptable standard. This meticulous insistence on standards is why RYA certificates are accepted and respected throughout the world.
Here are some of the unique aspects of RYA training
- Superb printed training materials that are colourful and highly illustrated.
- A huge range of sailing books, including some for children as well as adults.
- Specially produced training charts, Almanacs, and simulation chart-plotter.
- Introductory courses to train you as a competent crew member.
- Option of online navigation & radio training so you can work in your own home.
- No written examination on practical courses; you are judged on your skills.
- Supplementary courses in First Aid at Sea, Diesel Engine Maintenance etc.
- All RYA training centres are inspected every year.